Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind opened at Walt Disney World on May 27, 2022. This ride is everything! You’ll want to put it at the top of your must-do list. Big tip for Cosmic Rewind: it can only be experienced through a virtual queue boarding pass or an Individual Lightning Lane purchase at this time. We have some crucial tips & hacks to get you in the best position to nab that coveted Cosmic Rewind Boarding Group at Walt Disney World. For Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane tips For Epcot, please see this post. Ps- Be sure to check and see if Cosmic Rewind is Too Scary For Your Kids! This one is a different kind of experience and being tall enough doesn’t always mean being ready when it comes to rides.
Table of Contents
Hack Your Way To a Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Boarding Group
Alright, Guardians in training! This is the mission to success you’ve been looking for.
Here are the secret hacks to get a boarding group for Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind.
It’s time to save the galaxy- again- with our favorite MCU characters.
Tips To Grab a Boarding Group For Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT
- Turn off Wifi. For most locations, WiFi will slow you down. Unless your phone is showing 1 or 2 bars, turn off Bluetooth and WiFi for this process. Close all background apps on your phone as well; let your phone know the only thing that matters is getting a Cosmic Rewind boarding group.
- Most Guests have two chances to get a boarding group: 7 am and 1 pm. You do not have to be in the park for the 7 am attempt, but you DO need to have checked into EPCOT for the 1 pm option. The afternoon seems to be easier to come by than a morning boarding group. Reminder: you cannot park hop at Walt Disney World until 2 pm! That limits your options for this ride at this time.
- Some Guests can join a special 3rd boarding group at 6 pm. Guests staying at a Disney Deluxe Resort, Disney Deluxe Villa Resort or other select hotels like Shades of Green and Swan and Dolphin will have an additional opportunity to request to join the virtual queue on select dates during extended evening theme park hours. Guests with this benefit do not need to be in EPCOT to request to join at that time.
- Confirm your boarding group party up to an hour before. In the app, navigate to the virtual queue and confirm who will be in your party that day. Remove anyone who is connected with you via the app, but does not plan on riding that day. Please note: everyone in your party will need a theme park reservation for EPCOT if you are trying for the 7 am option.
- Set an alarm on your phone for 6:58 am. Trust us, that’s all you need. Once the alarm goes off, open your My Disney Experience app and navigate to the virtual queue page. Click Join Virtual Queue. It will be too soon to get your Guardian’s Coaster boarding group, but you will be in the right place. You’ll see the “Confirm Your Party” button. This goes away when the virtual queue is open.
- Refresh Refresh Refresh! Drag your finger down the screen to refresh your virtual queue page. Do this repeatedly until the time changes to 7 am and the Join Queue button is highlighted.
- When you see Join Virtual Queue, replace Confirm Your Party, SMASH that button! That will (fingers crossed) be the final step to hacking your way to a Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind boarding group.
- Check your boarding group number & estimated return time. The app will notify you when the ride is ready for your return, and you have 1 hour to join the physical line. HOWEVER: don’t wait! This is important. These rides can go down (and do!) often- and due to their complexity, it can take hours for some rides to come back online. So don’t hesitate: if your group has been called, go ahead and join the line for the Guardians Coaster!
Extra Tips For Grabbing a Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Coaster Boarding Group
1. Some sites suggest using the USNO Master Clock to determine the EXACT time, but we found that was completely unnecessary.
Disney’s time is the only time that matters, and using the refresh drag-down plan worked every morning and afternoon for us.
2. Guardian’s Virtual Queue Tip: The newest phone typically wins! If you have more than one cell phone in your group, have EVERYONE try simultaneously.
3. If you don’t get into the first queue, go ahead and set an alarm on your phone for 12:58 and try again for the afternoon. If you have park hoppers, you must wait until you’ve entered EPCOT to try for your boarding group.
4. If the attraction is closed when your boarding group has been called, don’t panic. But do go ahead and take a screenshot of your boarding group number.
Once the attraction re-opens (and no, Disney does not notify you; you will have to check the app for the update), you will be allowed to enter the line.
5. If you are late, also don’t panic. The Cast Members won’t let you ride early, but they may feel some sympathy if you show up late.
We arrived over an hour after our boarding group was called due to a dinner reservation, and they allowed us to ride without a problem. As always, your mileage may vary with this Guardians Coaster tip. Not all Cast Members will be able to allow you entry, but it never hurts to ask NICELY.
Can You Get A Boarding Group and An Individual Lightning Lane For Cosmic Rewind?
You can hold both a Boarding Group and purchase an Individual Lightning Lane for GOTG Coaster simultaneously.
We were able to do this when Remy’s ride first opened as well (and Tron runs the same way).
How Much Will an Individual Lightning Lane For Cosmic Rewind Cost?
You’ll pay between $14 and $17 plus tax for each person.
You can only pay for one ride per day per person.
How Do You Get Both An ILL and A Boarding Group For GOTG Coaster?
You would need two phones to try to get both options simultaneously.
One person concentrates on getting the Individual Lightning Lane for the group, the other will follow the above steps for Boarding Groups.
Refer to this article to learn more about ILL (Individual Lightning Lane) purchases.
Which Line Is Faster: VQ or Individual Lightning Lane For Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind?
We’ve ridden this coaster well over 25 times and can confirm the Individual Lightning Lane purchase is the way to go if time is of the essence for your day.
We walked directly into the first staging room via this lane and waited about 15 minutes to get to that room. That’s it. It’s never been longer than that.
The VQ line can take more like 45 minutes to an hour.
More Disney Tips You’ll Love
Patty Holliday has been running Disney since 2011. She knows just about every tip, trick, and hack there is to cover the runDisney Magical Miles at Disney World and Disneyland. She knows every mile isn’t *always* magical- but with training, tips, and a little bit of pixie dust, they can be a lot of fun! You can also find her at noguiltlife.com and noguiltfangirl.com