A Disneyland Halloween is arguably one of the best experiences your family can have if you are into the spooky season. The Oogie Boogie Bash has replaced Mickey’s Halloween Party – for the better! It’s jam packed with opportunities and creepy (but not too scary) fun. But even when an event is showing out, there are bound to be some misses. Here are three things NOT to do at Oogie Boogie Bash during the Disneyland Halloween party.
What Is Disneyland’s Oogie Boogie Bash?
This is THE Halloween party at the Disneyland Resort.
The event is happening on select nights at Disney California Adventure Park and is a separately ticketed event.
When Is Oogie Boogie Bash Happening This Year?
Here are the 2021 Oogie Boogie Bash party dates, times, and prices:
- September 9, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- September 11, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $169
- September 12, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- September 14, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $114
- September 16, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- September 19, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- September 21, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $114
- September 23, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- September 26, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- September 28, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $114
- September 30, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- October 3, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 5, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- October 7, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- October 10, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 12, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- October 14, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- October 17, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 19, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $124
- October 21, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $134
- October 24, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 26, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 28, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $149
- October 30, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $169
- October 31, 2021 – 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM: $169
ALL EVENT DATES ARE SOLD OUT as of August 23, 2021.
Protip: How can I get into a sold out Oogie Boogie Bash party? ASK!
There may be additional tickets sold the day of- it never hurts to ask! In the past, military members could walk up and still purchase special party tickets, even if the event was sold out.
We’ve had conflicting information on this policy for 2021, but we certainly think it doesn’t hurt to ask Guest Services if you happen to be at the resort anyway. You may luck out!
What Happens At Oogie Boogie Bash at Disneyland?
The whole park is transformed into a spooky wonderland, and if that’s your esthetic, you will be in for a ton of treats.
And we do mean literally.
There are treat trails located through the park (10 in total, 8 with sweet, sweet characters on them!), a fabulous & Frightfully Fun parade, character photo ops throughout the park, and the chance for the whole family to dress up in costume.
That’s right, adults, YOU TOO can get in on the action!
3 Things NOT To Do At Oogie Boogie Bash | Disneyland Halloween Party
You might be asking, is Oogie Boogie Bash worth the price of the ticket? We think so, if you use your time wisely in order to get the biggest Halloween bang for your bucks.
Which, we admit, we did not.
It’s easy to say this party is great and that we had a blast- all that is true.
But there were a few things we wish we had done a little differently. Check out these hacks and tips for the Oogie Boogie Bash at Disneyland so your party experience can be even better than ours!
Here are our top three things to skip or avoid at Oogie Boogie Bash this year.
1. DO NOT DO EVENT CHECK-IN AT THE MAIN GATE
As Colonel Ackbar would say: it’s a trap!
Your Oogie Boogie Bash ticket allows entry into DCA starting at 3pm. Which is awesome- BUT… there will be a lot of people who also think this is awesome, and the line will grow quickly.
The park entry lines are a bit long, and will stay long, from 3pm until after 6pm when the party officially starts. This is the line for entry around 5:30pm:
And you’re thinking: so what? It’s Disneyland! Of course there are lines. And this is true.
The line above is just to get into the parks; to enjoy the full Oogie Boogie Bash party, you will also need to attend an event check-in once inside the park.
And that, my friends, is potentially another super long line.
How can you avoid a long time sucking wait?
You have options.
We found 3 different event check-in locations once inside the park. And one of them is definitely the smartest/fastest tip for Oogie Boogie Bash entry.
Check-in For Oogie Boogie Bash Locations
- Main Gate Line. Just inside the main gate will be a long queue to get your map and wristbands. You will be directed by CMs to join this line, but… don’t do it! Unless it’s super short. Trust me on this- you’ll be fine! Keep walking into DCA a bit further to find another line option.
- Blue Sky Cellars. You can find this building located across from the main entrance to Cars Land. This area is being used for the event check-in, and depending on the time you arrive, you should be able to walk right up to get your wristband. As the evening goes on, a longer line will form so this Oogie Boogie Bash tip is best used if you arrive soon after 3 pm.
- Grand Californian Hotel Entrance. Many guests know about the entrance to DCA from the Grand Californian Hotel. In the mornings, this entrance is only for hotel guests. But as the day goes on, it is *usually* open for other themepark guests to use. There are reports that non-hotel guests are not being allowed to enter the park for the party here. BUT- even if you entered DCA through the main gate, you can get your wristband from the event check-in cart located just inside this entrance by GCH. The other two lines were LONG but this was a walk up for us at just past 6 pm. Winner Winner!
2. DO NOT PAY FOR THE DESSERT PARTY OR PARADE DINING PACKAGE
We did, and we regret it.
ps- after reading this, you can ask for a refund and cancel your dessert & dining package if you are so inclined.
We can think of many ways that we’d like to give Disney $84 — and this was not it.
The value simply is not there.
Sonoma Terrace Oogie Boogie Bash Dessert Party Review
Our group of 2 decided to go for the Sonoma Terrace Oogie Boogie Bash Dessert Party.
For $84 (gratuity is included), we each recieved a plate of desserts, 2 specialty alcoholic beverages or bottled water and sodas, and reserved seating for the Frightfully Fun Parade.
While it sounds pricey, if you are a drinker and a fan of sweets, this might not be too much more than you’d normally spend on Disney treats and drinks.
Why is this on our list of things NOT to do at Oogie Boogie Bash?
None of it is good. At least not $84 good.
The desserts are truly unimpressive (hello, they gave us gummie worms- and sadly, they were the best things on the plate!) and the beverages were not worth the calories.
We didn’t expect the Dessert Party food to be the main draw but we did not expect it to be as disappointing as it was. If you want to know what you should be spending your money on, check out the best Disneyland Halloween treats.
We were truly there for the close-up seating for the Frightfully Fun Parade.
And our seats were fabulous— no shade on the location and placement!
We had wonderful seats at a table to enjoy the parade without anyone blocking our view.
But ultimately I have two issues with this whole thing:
1- it required checking in 45 minutes before the parade so our desserts and drinks could be served in advance.
2- the people sitting on the other side of the parade route had the same view, for $84 less.
See what I’m saying here? Save your money, folks!
Oogie Boogie Bash tip: check out locations against the railing along Paradise Bay lagoon about 20 minutes before the parade starts. This area will only be allowed to seat 1 party deep, so you will get an unobstructed FREE view of the parade!
Oogie Boogie Bash Parade Dining Package
Another part of our group chose to eat a late lunch at Wine Country Trattoria as part of the Oogie Boogie Bash Parade Dining Package.
They had mixed feelings on this experience- the value was in the food (all agreed the meal was delish!) but the seating area was not ideal.
The Parade Dining Package only offers a reserved standing or ground seating area, and again, you’ll need to ensure your spot up to 45 minutes before the parade steps off.
It’s just a lot of time to waste waiting around in these parade viewing locations when there is so much more happening in the party!
Don’t get caught in these time suck traps at Disneyland’s Oogie Boogie Bash.
Speaking of time sucks…
3. DO NOT GET IN THE VERY LONG LINE FOR THE VILLAINS GROVE
Our final suggestion for things NOT to do at Oogie Boogie Bash is getting in line fore the Villains Grove if its longer than a 10-minute wait.
What is the Villains Grove?
It’s a trail full of spooky lights and sound effects.
That’s it. (insert shrugging emoji here)
It does NOT have any characters on it.
It does NOT have any candy on it.
It is NOT worth waiting 45-60 minutes in line for.
If you feel you MUST experience this one, save it for the end of the event.
While other guests are leaving the theme park, you can take one last spooky stroll through Disney California Adventure before calling it a night!
Ok, So What Should You NOT Miss At Oogie Boogie Bash?
The rest of the event offerings were delightful! But the only way you will be able to do it all is if you stay out of the time-sucking lines mentioned above.
We had multiple character meet and greet interactions throughout the evening, many with FREE PhotoPass opportunities included.
We also focused on the immersive treat trails where we could see new to Disneyland characters up close and personal.
Characters and a bag full of candy?
The parade is a highlight for sure, so don’t miss that one (even if it means spending a little time holding your spot on the parade route- it’s worth it!).
One note: Halloween fireworks are happening at Disneyland, but this is not a party exclusive event this year. So pick another night to head across the way for that show.
We’re also fans of the special ride overlays in Disney California Adventure. The Cars Land attractions are decked out in Halloween style and Guardians of the Galaxy: Monster’s After Dark is a must-do option!
But to be fair, you can do these without a party ticket in DCA on any given night during Halloween Time. They are just extra fun to experience within the scope of the party atmosphere.
This is our favorite Oogie Boogie Bash hack: here’s how to ride Web Slingers at Disneyland without a virtual boarding group. You’ve got the golden (Bash) ticket for this one!
More Disneyland Posts You’ll Love
Patty Holliday has been running Disney since 2011. She knows just about every tip, trick, and hack there is to cover the runDisney Magical Miles at Disney World and Disneyland. She knows every mile isn’t *always* magical- but with training, tips, and a little bit of pixie dust, they can be a lot of fun! You can also find her at noguilttravel.com and noguiltfangirl.com