This one has been a long time coming! When the Disney Parks shut down in March of 2020, we didn’t know that the days of using FastPass+ were over. That was one Disney Parks program that did not make a comeback when the parks reopened. After a long wait (on standby, no less!) get ready to meet your new Disney BFF with this Disney Genie 101. We’ll answer all the frequently asked questions about Genie, Genie+, and Lightning Lane to help you decide if this program is worth the added costs. Here’s your guide to Disney Parks new FastPass+ option.
Disney Genie 101 | Your Guide To Disney Parks New FastPass+
You’ve never had a friend like this!
Genie is a new system coming to the My Disney Experience app that will help you plan and navigate your day through the Disney Parks.
There are a TON of pretty cool options that are coming out with this new system that will certainly benefit both the returning and new Disney Parks guests.
Here’s what we know so far about Disney’s Genie, Genie+, and Individual Lightning Lane passes.
This guide to Disney’s Genie will help you decide if adding the cost to your vacation is worth it.
Three Separate Products Are Launching With Disney’s Genie
The first thing to note: there are three distinct products that are launching with the new park planning program:
- Individual Lightning Lane Purchases
We’ll break them down in the first part of Disney Genie 101.
What Is Disney’s Genie?
What does Genie Cost? Nothing (see, there are still free things at Disney!)
Genie is free to all users of the My Disney Experience app.
It is a personalized park planner with real-time tip boards that will help you decide what your next move should be
Genie will include estimated wait times for attractions near you, Mobile Order service, restaurant check-ins, waitlists, and reservations.
You will also use Disney’s Genie to access virtual queues like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.
Reminder: Disney’s Genie is FREE for all guests.
Genie would be incredibly beneficial for families and guests who are not as familiar with the Disney Parks such as first-time visitors.
What Is Disney’s Genie+? Guide To Disney Parks New FastPass+
Genie+ is the PAID replacement for FastPass+. That’s right: you’ll pay for this one.
What does Genie+ cost?
Disney’s Genie+ will incur a daily fee of $15 per person and replaces the free FastPass+ option. If you were familiar with Disneyland’s old MaxPass program, it’s similar.
You can book Genie+ for your entire trip OR you can book it day by day for ultimate flexibility.
Included in Genie+ are the tips and planning services in the free Genie option, plus Augmented Reality photo shots and short Audio Tours that share facts or secrets about the area you are currently in.
But here’s where it gets good: Genie Plus will allow families to reserve a return time and bypass the standby line via a ‘Lightning Lane’ for 40 different attractions at World Disney World. See Attractions Lists Below.
- Some attractions are not included in Genie+ but may be available through a paid Individual Lightning Lane option. More on this below.
- You can only go through the Lightning Lane 1 time per ride per day. Ex: You use LL to experience Haunted Mansion, but want to go back and do it again later in the day. You’ll need to experience the 2nd trip on Haunted Mansion through the regular Standby Line.
- You can purchase Genie+ after midnight eastern time each day.
- There will not be a limit to Genie+ passes sold (similar to how there is not a limit to how many parkhoppers are sold in a day).
- Your first attraction booking through Genie+ begins at 7am each day for Disney World Resort guests. Shades of Green & Swan and Dolphin guests are included.
- Your first attraction booking through Genie+ begins at park opening for all other guests.
- Once you have used your attraction reservation via the Lightning Lane (LL) you will be able to immediately book another.
- You will also be abe to book another within a specific window (120 minutes) even if you have not used your previous LL. The app will tell you when you are eligible for another LL choice.
What Are The Individual Lightning Lane Purchases?
Lightning Lane is the name of a location you will use to bypass the standby line. So it’s not a product in and of itself, but actually part of the Genie+ system.
But there is an option to purchase individual Lightning Lane passes for select attractions.
These are not included in the Genie+ attraction list; they are the most popular rides and therefore are going to be a premium to ride while at the parks.
What does Individual Lightning Lane passes cost?
The pricing will change from day to day and ride to ride, so a complete price list for Individual Lightning Lane passes is not available at this time.
Disney has given examples of $7 to $15 per attraction.
- You can purchase 2 Individual Lighting Lane passes per day.
- Sales for Individual Lightning Lane begin at 7am each day for Disney World Resort guests. Shades of Green, Swan and Dolphin guests are included.
- Sales begin at park opening for all other guests
- If you are park hopping, you can purchase Individual Lightning Lane at the same park, different parks, or even both passes at a park you plan to hop to later. Genie know when you will be able to enter the new park and will not book you before you are eligible to hop.
Ex: you have a reservation for Animal Kingdom, but want to purchase the Individual Lightning Lane options at Hollywood Studios for later. You can purchase the individual LL for Rise of the Resistance and Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway at 7am for a time after 2pm. Genie will know you cannot enter the park until 2pm, so they will chose times that fit the park hopping experience.
Do You Need To Purchase Genie+ In Order To Purchase Individual Lightning Lane passes?
You do not!
You can skip the $15 a day Genie Plus purchase and only buy Individual Lightning Lane passes ala cart.
How will Individual Lightning Lane Access work with Boarding Groups for Remy?
If you want to skip the virtual queue drama, you can simply purchase Individual Lightning Lane Access for Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.
Will you be able to ride Remy’s with both an individual LL and a boarding group? It seems that would be possible, but we do not have confirmation at this time.
What Attractions Are Included In Genie+?
MAGIC KINGDOM PARK
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Splash Mountain
- The Barnstormer
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE – Green
- Mission: SPACE – Orange
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS PARK
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty & The Beast Live on Stage
- Disney Jr. Dance Party
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular – Returning December 19, 2021
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Toy Story Mania!
ANIMAL KINGDOM PARK
- Celebration of the Festival of the Lion King
- Feathered Friends in Flight!
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug!
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Naʻvi River Journey
- The Animation Experience
What Attractions Are Included For Individual Lightning Lane Purchase?
MAGIC KINGDOM PARK
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Frozen Ever After
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS PARK
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
ANIMAL KINGDOM PARK
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
How Can I Add Genie+ To My Disney World Package?
Genie+ is not available to add to existing packages at this time.
Guests arriving after October 19 will be able to make changes to their packages online or over the phone, however.
Genie+ can be added to the package (every person in the room will need to purchase Genie+ for the length of stay) up to 24 hours before travel.
OR you can purchase Genie+ on a day-by-day basis through the app as an add-on purchase.
Please note: If you booked with a travel agent, they can add Genie+ to your resort package booking.
If you booked a room-only reservation, a travel agent cannot add Genie+. It is only available to add on to packages that include theme park tickets.
But you will be able to add Genie+ to your individual tickets (see below).
Guide To Disney Parks New FastPass: How Can I Add Genie+ To My Theme Park Ticket or Annual Pass?
You will be able to add Genie+ to your theme park tickets in advance if arriving after Oct 19 via the My Disney Experience website.
There is not a special Annual Passholder Genie+ program at this time, so APs will add Genie on a day-to-day basis.
The Genie 101 Big Question: Do I Need Genie+ At Walt Disney World?
This is one of those “that depends” kinds of questions.
If it’s in your budget to access the full program, then this might be a great investment in your Disney World vacation. Everyone likes to skip as much of a line as possible!
If you are traveling during an exceptionally busy time (think Christmas, Halloween, Easter) then it most certainly will be helpful for your family’s park enjoyment. We’d strongly suggest guests consider using the program during these high volume times.
What we don’t know is how Genie+ will impact wait times in the standby lines.
FastPass+ did have a significant impact and increase in the standby wait times, but we hope Disney has learned from that experiment.
And since not everyone in the park will choose to access Genie+ due to cost, there’s a good chance that it will not cut into the standby line too much.
Please note: like most theme parks or even restaurants, inflated estimated wait times are NORMAL at Disney World. So use your best judgment when you see an 80 minute wait time for an attraction that truly looks more like a 30-minute line.
Of course, that’s easier to estimate if you are familiar with the parks and attractions, but bottom line: you can’t always trust those numbers! You’ll likely spend less time in line than posted.
It may make more sense for you to pay for Genie+ on a day-by-day basis rather than for the full trip.
However, some travelers love the “all-inclusive” model of feeling like you aren’t getting nickeled and dimed each day. If that’s you, and you think you like what Genie+ is offering, go ahead and add the program to your Disney World Package.